After several years of making sourdough bread, I was starting to think I would never make any that tasted sour. The reason: commercial yeast. I was using my sourdough starter to make the bread, but most recipes also called for a small amount of yeast in the recipe. Even when I let bread raise in the fridge for 3 days, it still didn't taste like sourdough! Thankfully a friend brought me some sourdough and my interest was renewed. She used a recipe that was very labor-intensive; but I knew I didn't have time for that! So I searched at King Arthur Flour and found this wonderful recipe!
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe
If you don't have a starter, here is a great recipe:
SOURDOUGH STARTER
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 TB dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
In a crock or plastic container, combine flour, yeast, sugar, then add warm water. (DO NOT USE METAL BOWLS.). Leave at room temperature for 3 days, adding
1 cup flour
1/2 cup warm water
each day until batter is active (odor is pungent, mixture is bubbly). At this point, the starter is "fed" and can be used in sourdough recipes. After using, put remaining sourdough starter in fridge loosely covered with plastic wrap or a crock lid until you are ready to use. When ready to use again, take out of fridge, feed with flour and water (1:1/2 ratio) and let sit for a couple hours until bubbly again. Should be fed every 7-10 days.


No comments:
Post a Comment