Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake - Lightened Up

I found this recipe in Prevention Magazine and I was excited because it was a lighter version of our family favorite that uses margarine and tons of sugar. I tried this recipe and it was delicious and the cake was very dense and moist even by day 3. I loved it with Breyer's Vanilla ice cream because I was too lazy to make frosting.

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake by Prevention Magazine
3 oz unsweetened chocolate (I bought a chocolate bar, could also use chips)
1 c. water
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. canola oil
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 lg egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c. 1% buttermilk (or add 1/2 TB vinegar to regular milk)
1 tsp baking soda
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
Pinch of salt

1. Melt chocolate into water in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cool to lukewarm. Add granulated sugar, oil, applesauce, egg, and vanilla extract and beat with whisk until smooth. Measure buttermilk into a cup and stir in baking soda. Set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, whole wheat flour, and salt in large bowl until thoroughly blended. Add chocolate mixture and buttermilk. Whisk again.
3. Pour batter into greased 8x8 inch pan and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean.
Serve with your favorite frosting or Breyer's Vanilla ice cream! 12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment