Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Falafel and Yogurt -Tahini Sauce

If you've never tasted this yet, then prepare to fall in love. It's a great summer meal that's quick, healthy and filling.


Falafel

2 cloves garlic

½ cup fresh parsley leaves

15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained

1 T olive oil

1 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. ground cumin

½ tsp. ground coriander

½ tsp. salt

dash black pepper

pinch cayenne

1 tsp. baking powder

¼ c. flour

Canola oil for frying

Pita, cucumbers, greens, tomatoes

Finely chop garlic and parsley in food processor. Add garbanzo beans and pulse a few times, until they are coarsely chopped. (I don’t have a food processor, so I used my blender.)

Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine well. Form dough into about 8 balls, and flatten into patties.

Heat ½ inch canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties until dark golden brown on both sides, about 8-10 minutes.

Drain on paper towels and serve in pita with yogurt-tahini sauce, lettuce, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers.

Yogurt-Tahini Sauce

6 oz. plain yogurt

2 T. tahini

2 tsp. lemon juice

¼ tsp. salt

Pinch of ground cumin

Whisk in a small bowl until smooth.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Katie, those are a lot of fancy ingredients :) I'm going to try it this weekend. I need something new - I'm definitely in a rut.

    ReplyDelete